Thursday, November 24, 2005

wish for secret santa

my friends from emory are doing a secret santa/hanaukah harry/curry krishna gift exchange.

i don't know who drew my name, but whomever it is, you may want to consider this awesome find (thanks to boing-boing) for my wish list. it's a little bit above our agreed-upon spending limit, but it would go perfectly in my apartment.




here's the link.

here's the description from ebay:

This item is a full size replica of C-3PO from Star Wars "A New Hope".

No home is complete without your very own protocol droid. He stands on his own, his eyes light up and there is a speaker in the head for a sound system that the winning bidder could add (sound system not included). The head is moveable from left to right (by hand, not motorized).
This c-3po was on the cover of Make Magazine's second issue. This item has taken me 3 years to bring to the point it is now. He is very near completion and only needs a few details. I make no claims to its accuracy, but rather its a best guess.
The torso, arms and head were scratch built by me. The Arms are PVC, everything else is fiberglass. Starting as clay sculpts and then plaster molds, I was able to make the torso up. The rear plate on the torso is hinged and opens for access to the eye lights and speaker wires.
The waist and legs are also fiberglass and made from Vacuumed formed parts (rumored to be from the Disney Star Tours walk around suit). The actual vac formed parts were not at a quality good enough to use as the droid so I used them as molds. This was much better in the end as the fiberglass is very strong and repairable. The feet and hands are some form of resin.
The detail "pistons" are all made from wood and I would suggest replacing them with resin details. I can give the winner a contact email to get the details as needed. The Pistons on the sides of the knees are the only detail I did not make and add to the prop.
The legs have a metal tube for support and are foam filled to keep the body parts in place. The torso and head are removable. The arms are attached to the torso and cannot be removed.

The finish is Gold Leafed and clear lacquered. I have weathered him for that "new hope look". Also the Black cloth section at the waist with the wires will need to be remade. I did not make it with a big enough waist size so it does not meet in the back (see pics)

SHIPPING: The Item will be shipped in 2 large boxes through UPS. Once the auction ends and I have received the primary payment, I will then box it up and get a quote. Once you decide which shipping quote to go with then you will send the shipping payment. I will have to take this to a "pack and ship" style store, winner will be responsible for the packing costs (I will cover the cost initially, but it will be added to the shipping cost).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home