Friday, May 06, 2005

Beth in Baghdad

my college friend beth works for the dept. of defense (as a civilian) and was deployed to baghdad this winter and spring. while she can't talk a lot about the details of what she did, she writes:

from an email in late march:

  • I am still having an excellent experience and learning so much. Boy has my brain been stressed but I love what I am doing. I have never worked in such an intense environment and I love the fast pace.
  • I am staying safe and staying in shape. Basically the gym is my only outlet here. The weather has been so nice so I have enjoyed getting some sun and running outside when I can take a break (which is not too often). It hasn't been too hot yet...lots of warm sunny spring days. Although sometimes the dust is so bad I feel like I am running through a wall of dirt!
  • Anyhow, not a whole lot to update on as my days don't vary too much--still working 16 hour+ days. I have been staying motivated and although frustrated at times, ultimately am truly enjoying this work and experience. Although I am certainly looking forward to some good food and spending time with good friends.
upon Beth's return this week:
  • Just got back into town this week. I had an awesome experience. I can't really talk much about the work (this kills my family!) but I supported an awesome mission and honestly had the most rewarding work experience of my life. I was able to feel like my efforts made a direct impact and in my small way made Iraq a safer place. It is good to be home safebut has definitely been an adjustment
here's a picture of beth at the cross swords in baghdad:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home