Wednesday, February 22, 2006

hand washing

our bathroom is weirdly located between my office and the doors to the elevator. so i often run into co-workers on my way in or out.

yesterday i run into one of the people for whom i work (not my boss, just on this current deal). he emerges and puts out a hand, presumably for shaking.

inner monologue:
errr, dude, you just came from the bathroom.
shit, i gotta shake his hand.
ok, i'm shaking his hand. his hand is wet. please let that be b/c he just washed his hands.
but did he rinse them or truly wash them? did he turn the water on, pump soap, vigorously scrub for a ten count, rinse, grab a paper towel, dry off, then use the paper towel to turn off the faucet (thereby not re-infecting his clean hand on the dirty faucet)?


outer monologue:
hey man, great to see you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I have quite a bit to say about this topic. Working in an office with 200+ people... you get to learn about a lot of peoples hygiene habits whether you like it or not. I can't BELIEVE how many women don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. I mean, Im not a crazy germophobe - but the best is when you are sitting there washing your hands and some one comes out of the stall, says hi to you and walks on out. Its crazy. I have brought this up with some of my male colleagues and they have said the same about men.

Their advice to me was to not shake hands with high ranking former military. My advice to them was the same for human resources representatives.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Wintermute said...

here's a bad one: when you're at someone's apt at a party, and you see that there is no soap at the sink. this means that everyone person at the party has been going to the bathroom and leaving without using soap.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Wintermute said...

em, let me guess:
her name rhymes with shorter?

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home