Wednesday, August 23, 2006

what is wintermute's real name?

ok, so i'm about to post a comment on prizblog, and i notice it identfies by my real name.

what the fuck!?!?!?

i don't use my name anywhere in the blogosphere. i even went back and changed all (i mean all of them--there were like 700) tags on every flickr photo to remove my name. i took down all of the early postings on this blog when i was not as careful about slipping my names (or mrs. wintermute's).

the real reason i use a screen handle for myself and my friends is so the casual observer can't use this blog to attach stories to names. obviously, if you know me, and find my blog, it's not hard to see that it's mine. however, i don't want a potential employeer doing a search (which an increasing # do, according to the wall street journal) and seeing my name come up next to a posting about the rusty trombone. and i doubt any of my friends what that to happen either.


anyway, so google (which owns blogger) flicked a switch, and now if you're logged into gmail, it automatically integrates and logs you in with that account when you're on a blogspot blog. it lets you log out and then log back in with your preferred handle, but that's irritating.

this should be an opt-in feature, not opt-out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home